4/26/12

Lots and Lots of Trains...

I love being Mommy to my boys.  They are funny and sweet and reckless and silly and curious.  They never cease to amaze me with their differing personalities (the wee one is only nine months old, but already has the will of an ox)...

And boys love their toys.  There are no dainty tea cups or baby dolls here.  Instead we have wall to wall trucks and trains and building blocks and baseballs and plastic dinosaurs and picture books about monsters and pirates.  Little Guy (our three year old) is especially enamored of trains.  He eats, sleeps and breathes trains.  We (of course) have a Thomas collection, and he has GeoTrax and other little miscellaneous train sets.  He plays with them all.  Even Baby Boy likes trains.  Now that he's mobile, he can't help himself.  If we put him down for even a minute, he crawls right over to the Thomas table and tries to pull himself up.  He's not quite able to get all the way up yet, and that's probably a good thing.  Little Guy isn't quite ready to share his beloved trains.
                                                                                                                         
Toy trains aren't the only ones around here.  Something else that our Little Guy is obsessed with are train videos.  I'm not referring to Thomas the Train (though he loves those), but I mean videos that are nothing but action footage of actual freight trains.  You might have seen the infomercials...








                                                                                                                        
Whoever thought of this concept is GENIUS!  They are probably rolling in the big bucks too, because I can't imagine ours is the only little boy who loves watching.  These are Little Guy's go-to nap time video and also what he gets to watch for a little bit before bedtime or really any time at all.  There's very little (if any) dialogue in these.  There's just clip after clip of trains (on mountains, on bridges, through the snow, in the rain etc) set to low-key music.  Oh, and when we bought the two DVD set (Lots and Lots of Trains) it came with a bonus CD soundtrack.  Guess what we listen to every morning in the car on the way to school?  Yes, that's right.
                                                                                                                           

We don't own this one, but it (and the other one below)
are regular favorites from our local library.
I get tired of Bob the Builder and Thomas the Train and Backyardigans.  So far, I haven't gotten tired of these.  They kind of grow on you after a while... especially if you get to watch them just about every day. 


I love my boys, and their silly train videos too! 

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this DVD before-- my boys are gonna be choochoo"ing" all weekend long--love it!

    Aloha,
    Following ya via The ALOHA Friday HOP!!! I really truly thought I was following ya already but it doesn't appear so, so I'm glad to make it official-- you lead, I'll follow and can't wait to see where we go next.

    xoxo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yes, only mommies of boys "get it." My sons are now 5 and 8, but we went thru a major train obsession. We have moved on to the Great World of All That Is Lego.

    Just found your fun blog and am following now (but not in a creepy stalkerish way........ that you know of). Will be back!

    best,
    MOV
    http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, your little people sound just like my guy. We have spent hours watching movies where trains drive around. He can tell me the name of every train, loves the Flying Hamburger and bullet train and can tell me facts about their construction.
    Love your blog!
    Jennifer
    http://www.practicallyperfectprincess.com/search?q=survival+guide

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails