As I've mentioned before, I collect children's books - so that's always the section I head to first. Little Guy was quickly on the hunt for train books, while I looked for whatever might catch my eye. I found some great Little Golden books, a Jackie Robinson picture book, a stack of vintage Tell a Tale books, some workbooks (art and puzzle activities), two little Bible books for Baby Boy as well as several board books and some awesome puzzles.
But, the best find of the night? A stack (seventeen, to be precise) of Joy Wilt books from her "Ready-Set-Grow!" Weekly Reader series (1978 copyright).
This series of books is awesome! Each volume deals with an important aspect of growing up: personal care, sibling rivalry, money management, making friends, diversity, family issues, etc. They are great.
I had one as a kid. It was "Saying What You Mean", and I remember liking it a lot. A year or so ago, I found a copy at a garage sale and snatched it up.
The funny thing is that until tonight I didn't even notice it was part of a series. The full series includes 24 volumes, so I still have six I'll have to find eventually to have the full set.
I sure am glad that we went tonight and that I came across this awesome stack of books! Oh!! I almost forgot - these were only 50 cents each, so a total bargain too! Woo Hoo!
The Joy Wilt books I got tonight:
- Mine & Yours
- You Can Do It
- A Kid's Guide to Managing Money
- Handling Your Ups and Downs
- A Consumer's Guide for Kids
- May I? Please? Thank You!
- Checking 'Em Out and Sizing 'Em Up
- The Nitty Gritty of Family Life
- A Kid's TV Guide
- Keeping Your Body Alive and Well
- A Kid's Guide to Managing Time
- A Kid's Guide to Making Friends
- Making Up Your Own Mind
- Surviving Fights With Your Brothers and Sisters
- You're Either One or the Other
- You're All Right