3/29/10

Tart Berry Pie


If you'll remember from this post, I've been thinking about pie a lot lately. Craving it really.

This past weekend the perfect pie-making opportunity occurred - a trip to see my parents. My Dad is quite the pie connoseur, so I knew that the effort would not be a waste on him. An added benefit is that Dan and I are truly trying to watch what we eat and therefore didn't need a yummy homemade pie sitting around tempting us.


After I had written about pie on this blog, I'd received many different suggestions for new recipes. One in particular seemed intriguing... Bumbleberry Pie. Mmmm, doesn't that sound mouth wateringly wonderful?


Well, I sure thought it would be tasty... but I hated buying all those ingredients. As much as I love pie, I also love baking on the cheap. I decided to make my own multi-berry pie. I wanted limited sugar because I like tart fruit pie. I wanted a yummy buttery crust. So I thought about it for a bit and decided on the following:


Crust:
I used the "All Butter Pie Crust" from PIE. It's not the easiest pastry to roll and work with, but tastes heavenly (not at all healthy mind you, but it has an amazing butter flavor).


Filling:
Carefully fold together:
  • 1 large can of blueberry pie filling
  • 2 cups rinsed whole blackberries
  • 1 T raspberry jam
  • 1 T blackberry jam

Assembly:
1. Set the above berry mixture aside.

2. Thinly slice fresh strawberries (need about 2 cups of slices)

3. Roll bottom crust and lay in bottom of deep pie dish.

4. Place a layer of the strawberry slices across the pastry in the pie dish

5. Pour berry mixture over strawberry slice layer

6. Top with a second layer of the sliced strawberries and top with top pie crust. seal & crimp.

7. Bake as directed on pie filling can.

Enjoy.

The "W" on the top of my pie was for Willie of course. This was his first taste of pie. He liked it (as we all did) by the way.








my only complaint was that the filling was runny, and when a slice was removed from the pie plate, it fell flat a bit (see below). Next time (and yes, there will be a next time - this was a yummy pie) I'll thicken the filling.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails