3/26/10

A New Purse!


Recently I decided it was time for a new purse, but I was conflicted. No matter how many shops I visited… I just couldn’t find anything that was right for me.

I was ready to give up when a friend suggested I check out Etsy. I hadn’t ever looked at purses there before and was amazed at the selection. – especially the hand made ones. I loved the idea of having a one-of-a-kind bag, but don’t consider myself skilled enough to make it myself. Etsy offered the perfect solution. If you haven’t been there for a look, take some time to browse. You won’t be sorry.

I looked and I looked. I tagged more than twenty as “favorites” but could not decide which to choose. I loved the floral fabric on one, the bold jewel tones on another, the roominess of a third and so on. There wasn’t just one that met all of the criteria on my wish list.

I was on the verge of giving up, when I heard that a co-worker makes purses in her spare time. I sought her out, and told her what I was looking for. She said she’d love to help.

I sketched out a rough drawing showing her what I was hoping for.











We went shopping at a local craft store and found this upholstery fabric (half price, thank you very much) which I just love! The colors are probably more suited to fall than spring, but I don’t care. It is almost exactly what I was envisioning.


So, she took the fabric, and my little drawing and worked on it for a couple of weeks in her spare time, and this is the end result:












It’s enormous (which is perfect for me – I tend to tote around a lot of odds and ends). It had a nice long shoulder strap and pockets inside. It has a snap closure which is exactly what I wanted for easy access to all my goodies.

I really couldn’t be happier, and already I’ve had several total strangers (and many friends) comment on it. Hurrah! The perfect purse made just for me, and it’s even one of a kind. Doesn’t get much better than that!








Dan, of course, can't understand why I needed ANOTHER purse.... and maybe "need" wasn't the right word, but I did want one, and I'm very happy this is the one I ended up with!

3 comments:

  1. Christy! This is too stinking cute, I love the way it turned out!! Thank you so much for entering Meet Virginia's giveaway, I hope that you are having a great weekend!

    ~Morgan

    Meet Virginia Crafts
    Meet Virginia's Etsy Shop

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one cute cute purse! How wonderful that it's one of a kind too!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice purse Christy! I am a *PURSE* girl!! My sister is the shoe girl and I am the purse girl. Although I was looking at my shoes the other day and thought I really need to get some new ones. Oh my...never enough time in the day!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails