7/8/10

Curtains (52 Week Challenge - Week 1)

I recently joined the challenge put forth by the Thrify Mrs. She and a friend concocted a goal of making 52 things in 52 weeks. The guidelines are pretty open. You just need to make things you enjoy, and which aren’t part of your usual repertoire.

Here's my result for week one.

As I’ve mentioned before, our house is an older one and has some weird quirks. One of which is that for some unknown reason, the kitchen counter extends beyond the cabinetry. It’s just this piece of counter that juts out by itself. This oddity has always bugged me a little. We don't have a lot of counter space, so chopping it off was out of the question though. We've talked about adding another cabinet underneath but have never gotten around to it. For some time now, we have made the most of the space by storing our recycling bin below it. The recycling bin is useful of course, but isn’t really something I want to display for the world (or the tiny part of it that visits my home anyway) to see. So, for my first week’s challenge; I decided to make some curtains to cover up that underneath bit.

I didn’t use a pattern. I just measured the space I needed to cover; cut the fabric appropriately; folded the raw edges under and did a quick stitch with my Singer. The fabric was left over from when I reupholstered our kitchen chairs. Someday maybe I'll dig out the before and after pictures from that project. It was fun too.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Speaking of "before" and "after"... I didn't think to take before pics of this space, so you will need to use your imagination. :)

In case you are wondering….the colors in the pictures are pretty accurate. It really is THAT yellow in our kitchen.

So, once the curtains were hung, they nicely hid the not-so-lovely recycling bin. A bonus feature is that Little Man enjoys hiding under them too!

Challenge Summary: Week One
Ever done this before? No
Do I love it? Yes
Material Cost: Pulled all of the supplies from my craft cabinet – $0.00
Time Spent: under two hours
Success - Yes or No? Yes

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Just love it. And your floor is so pretty as well.

    I like that you tell how long it took, etc. too. That's encouraging, esp. when I'll know I need to do something and will spend way too much time just sitting there doing nothing! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails