2/4/10

Beating The Winter Blahs


Earlier this week that Pennsylvania Groundhog made it official – there will be no early Spring for 2010. We were a wee bit disappointed, but not at all surprised. The snowstorms here have been less frequent of late, but the cold temps have not wavered enough to matter. We are still surrounded with piles and piles of snow. Snow on our rooftop & snow on the lawn (I assume there is still a lawn under there somewhere, but we haven’t seen it for some time).

It seems that everywhere I look… there are only varying shades of white – grayish-white, brown-ish white, mystery speckled white, and more white, white, white. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever melt?.

The snowman we built New Years weekend is still in our front yard, for goodness sake. He’s laying there in three sad round-ish pieces thanks to some ornery neighbor boys, but he’s still THERE. He should have melted long ago.

Don’t believe me? Think I’m exaggerating? Here’s a snippet from a story posted to a local news station’s website on Monday…

We have seen a record 55 consecutive days with at least a 4 inch snow depth this year. The old record was 54 days set back in 1961-1962.

So far 42.6 inches of snow has fallen this season. The Metro area has around 9 inches still on the ground as of Monday morning.

No wonder the Winter Blahs have taken over my usually positive temperament. I miss green. I miss flowers. I miss warm breezes. I miss driving with my windows down, and letting my hair whip around with the wind.

I don’t remember ever being this bothered by the weather. I don’t think I have SAD, but this year the weather has really gotten me down in the dumps. In general I’m a pretty happy and upbeat person. It’s rare for me to be grouchy or short-tempered for more than a few minutes. My husband and various co-workers might have a different story to tell at the moment – but usually there’s a smile on my face.

I know I need to just snap out of it, and I will. But what I really WANT to do right now is go home, curl up with a cozy old quilt, a cup of tea, my big guy & my little guy… and not step out of the house again till the birds start chirping and the flowers start blooming. It would never work of course… no matter how much I would love to be a hermit right now. Clearly I need a better (more feasible – less financially horrifying) solution.

So here’s my plan… I’ll work, and play, and enjoy life as it comes (even if more snow falls and the temps get colder). I’m going to sit back, take a deep breath, and enjoy every moment of the next forty days. Regardless of how tempting it may prove to be, I promise myself not to wish those days away. I make this promise because I do understand that the time we have (with our significant other, our children, our family, our friends) is so precious – and in reality, so very brief.

I don’t want to miss out on any of the wonder that my life may hold just because of some stupid snow.

It will melt eventually, after all. That’s what snow does.

I feel better already. I guess I just needed to vent. Thank you for letting me do exactly that.
photo: Bing Images

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails