2/16/10

Flea Market Find, Part 1: Needles & Hooks

I've wanted to learn to crochet and/or knit for years. It's been one of those "someday I'm going to..." items that lurked in the back of my mind. I want to knit sweaters and cute little baby caps. I want to crochet afghans and thick winter scarves.

But I've never gotten around to learning, so those dreams have taken a back burner to every other thing.

However, maybe (just maybe) the tides are turning. Recently Dan, Willie and I went to the local flea market. It's a big monthly (thankfully indoor) affair that we always enjoy even though we rarely leave with any purchases. On this particular day, we could tell right off the bat that it was a good group of vendors. Sometimes all the tables are covered with junky trinkets and Nascar memorabilia and little else. But this was going to be a good week. Antiques and kitchy items were everywhere, so we knew we'd have a fun time.

At one of the first booths, I found a few little pamphlets. One was all about learning to knit. One had some moderate to advanced crochet patterns, and the third was a "how to" book that taught beginner steps for knitting, crochet, tatting and embroidery. And the kicker? They were priced at 25 cents each! "Sold!"




xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just two tables later we came across the following bundle....
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I was curious, so I unwrapped the pretty pink roll to find..... a wonderful collection of knitting needles and crochet hooks!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx








xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hurrah! What fun, and to make it even better, the whole thing was priced at only $5.00! "Sold!" So, now of course is the hard part. I have to use the books to teach myself to use these wonderful hooks and needles. I have decided to start with crocheting. I'd really love to make an afghan for my Grandmother for her birthday this year (November). Sometimes my plans are far too lofty though, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How fortunate you are to have flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales and the likes... We don't have that sort of thing, I guess in our culture we use things until they are worn out or pass them on to someone else - who doesn't necessarily might want them, but oh well...
    I took just started to learn how to crochet and dream of making a granny square blanket in all different colors, I will let you know what sort of progress I make :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails