10/30/10

Candy Corn & Jack-o-lanterns

Confession time: I’ve never been a big fan of Halloween.

As a child, I wasn’t into scary movies . I didn’t like haunted houses or seeing folks dripping with fake blood. I didn’t particularly like jack-o-lanterns or black cats. In general, it just wasn’t my favorite holiday.

I remember going out to trick-or-treat a couple of times. Once as Raggedy Ann and once as Casper the Friendly Ghost. I assume there were other costumes, but these are the two I remember. Back in those days an average costume consisted of a plastic apron and a plastic mask which had eye holes and breathing holes. Do you remember those? Breathing was a challenge as the nose holes never seemed big enough, and if you could breathe successfully without putting the mask on top of your head; the inside of it would become wet with condensation.



No wonder costumes have evolved.

Over the years, I participated now and then in various Halloween activities, but it still never was a big deal. We all dressed up in college, and that was fun but (other than eating far too much candy every October) mostly I’ve watched from the sidelines. That is, until I became a parent myself.

We took Little Guy trick-or-treating last year, but only took him to a few houses in our immediate neighborhood and then to his babysitter’s house. Then we came back home, turned on our porch light and let him hand out candy (or try to anyway). He had fun, so I do think we’ll do something along those lines again this year.

I suppose my opinion of Halloween has changed some since I last wore a drippy plastic mask, but not much. I still don’t like scary movies. I still don’t like haunted houses or seeing folks dripping with fake blood. I don’t particularly like jack-o-lanterns or black cats. In general, it’s just not my favorite holiday... however, watching Little Guy all dressed up - that makes me like it a lot more than I did before.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and my gosh I do remember Casper!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails